Posted by : January 15, 2014| On :
Special to The Monitor
STAR HARBOR–The Star Harbor Watercolor Society will host its seventh annual “For the Love of Art” show and sale from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 16, at the Star Harbor City Hall.
Admission is free and more than 100 art pieces will be on display. Visitors may meet the artists and enjoy refreshments.
The Star Harbor Watercolor Society formed in 2005 from a chance discussion among a few friends about the love of watercolor art. The group’s mission is to improve its member’s painting skills and stimulate public interest in watercolor art through exhibits.
The group soon grew from six to almost 30 members including artists from other communities and states.
Society members have entered the Henderson County Art show held each April in Athens, winning ribbons each year, including Best of Show five times.
The Dallas-Fort Worth art scene has discovered the talent of this group through their winning entries in the State Fair of Texas in Dallas from 2007-13 (including multiple blue ribbons and a Best of Show), and artwork chosen in juried competitions in Tyler, Fort Worth, Plano, Richardson and Irving.
From its inception, the society has sponsored watercolor workshops presented by acclaimed local and national artists.
The City of Star Harbor is just north of Malakoff at 99 Sunset Blvd.
Take FM 3062 at the Malakoff Fire Station on SH 198, continue past the Malakoff High School 1.4 miles into Star Harbor and make a left at the “Y.”
Posted by : January 9, 2014| On :
Monitor Staff Writer
VAN ZANDT COUNTY–”The statue has not been touched or repaired since 1938,” Van Zandt County Historical Commission Chairman Elvis Allen told the commissioners at their Dec. 23 meeting.
“The bronze is in bad shape and we need to repair it.”
The statue of Isaac and Frances Cooke Lipscomb-Van Zandt was created by sculptor Walding Amanda Tauch and installed at the Van Zandt County Courthouse Jan. 6, 1938.
Allen has reached out to the Texas Historical Commission and asked for ideas to repair the statue without harming it.
The blocks that the statue is on are deteriorating. Patches of vegetation are growing between the blocks.
The memorial is a full body replica of Isaac Van Zandt and his wife. Van Zandt was a prominent figure in Texas history and contributed from Canton to Fort Worth and more notably, to Harrison County.
According to the Van Zandt County Genealogical Society (VZCGS) website Isaac Van Zandt was born in 1813 in Franklin County, Tenn.
He married his wife, Louise, in 1833, and joined in a mercantile business with his wife’s brother-in-law.
During the financial panic of 1837, Van Zandt and Brown lost the mercantile business and Van Zandt was left with nothing.
“Gone to Texas” was the cry in those days and Van Zandt uprooted his family. The Van Zandt family went to the Mississippi River, up the Red River to Natchitoches, La., and then on to the abandoned Camp Sabine, which was an Army camp during the Texan Revolution.
After fighting illnesses, Van Zandt and his family landed in Elysian Fields in Harrison County. During a debating society meeting, Van Zandt was encouraged to become a lawyer by General T.N. Waul.
Van Zandt was also a prominent figure in the creation of Marshall and contributed to naming the town after Chief Justice John Marshall.
Van Zandt built a respectable law practice in Elysian Fields and Marshall, and soon moved his family to Marshall. Van Zandt helped survey the town site of Marshall in 1839.
During his time in Marshall, Van Zandt was encouraged to run for a congressional candidate and served from 1840-42.
He was then appointed Charge d’Affairs in July 1842 by President Sam Houston. He worked tirelessly promoting the annexation of Texas into the Union and tried to get Washington to put pressure on Mexico to stop sending military forces into Texas.
After the annexation of Texas into the Union in 1845, Van Zandt served as a delegate to the Constitution Convention and served on many committees.
Perhaps most notable during his time serving on the Constitution Convention was the creation of the Texas “Homestead Law” and “The Community Property Law.”
The laws were included in the Constitution of 1845 and were inspired by Van Zandt’s experience during the Financial Panic of 1837, when his family lost everything and many others in similar situations sustained losses as well.
Van Zandt was campaigning throughout Texas for the governor’s position and became widely popular and recognizable. During the campaign, he caught yellow fever and died in Houston on Oct. 11, 1847. He was 34 years old.
He was remembered as a great statesman, a prominent citizen of the Texas Republic, an able lawyer, talented orator and the minister of the Republic of Texas to the United States. He represented Texas in Washington, D.C., in negotiations for annexation for Texas to join the Union.
According to VZCGS, in 1846, Texas passed legislation for the creation of more counties because of the population increase. In 1848, one year after Van Zandt’s death, the state cut off the northern portion of Henderson County and honored Van Zandt by naming the county Van Zandt County.
Van Zandt also left behind a legacy that continued on with his five adult children.
According to the VZCGS, Khebler Miller Van Zandt became a major in the Confederate Army and a land agent for T&P Railroad.
Later in his life, he became one of Fort Worths most progressive promoters and builders.
He also commanded the Confederate Civil War Veterans’ Organization for many years until his death.
Van Zandt and his wife were the parents of the first child to be born in Texas.
During his time at Elysian Fields, the Van Zandt’s third child was born Jan. 5, 1840. He was named Isaac Lycurgus and was the first child to be born in Texas.
He was called “Curgie” and went on to become a great physician, noted VZCGS.
Van Zandt’s other children, Mrs. Louisa B. Clough, Maj. K.M. Van Zandt, Dr. I.L. Van Zandt, Mrs. E.J. Beall and Mrs. Ida V. Jarvis were all prominent citizens of Fort Worth until their deaths.
Posted by : December 21, 2013| On :
Nayeli Jackson is ready to see Santa at the Community Christmas dinner at Cedar Creek Lake United Methodist Church.
More photos from this event can be found in the Sunday, December 22, 2013 issue of The Monitor.