Natalie Newman positive amidst incurable disease
Posted by : March 27, 2014| On :
Monitor Staff Writer
KEMP–Mabank teenager Natalie Newman continues to inspire others despite her battle with Friedreich’s Axatia.
Newman spoke to Rotarians about her worsening health condition at the Cedar Creek Country Club during the March 21 meeting.
Newman, 16, was diagnosed with Friedreich’s Ataxia (FA), a progressive, neuro-muscular diesease, when she was 10 years old.
“I fall and ask myself why should I get up,” Newman said. “I remind myself to get back up, not just for me, but for everyone who has Friedreich’s Ataxia,” she added.
Newman says her whole life has been a blessing and she is inspired by others.
Newman has had her share of ups and downs including undergoing surgery to straighten out her crooked spine from scolosis and a continuous battle with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a disease that attacks the muscle of the heart and is common among those who suffer from FA.
Newman, now using a walker, shares a bedroom with two other siblings and her parents are currently looking for a house to make it easier for her to get around.
“I don’t want to use a walker especially when I go outside. However, I am excited about having my own room,” Newman said.
Newman held a Friedriech’s Ataxia motorcycle fun run and carnival fundraiser March 23 and will participate in the Ride Ataxia: Dallas benefit Saturday, March 29.
“Together we are going to cure FA,” Newman said.
In other news, Rotarians heard:
• member Erin Osborn was named Citizen of the Year by the Cedar Creek Lake Area Chamber of Commerce and member Abdul Abdin received the Mary Helen Myrick award by the chamber for his spirit and positive influence.
• tickets are available for a man or woman’s Rolex watch. All proceeds go toward the Rotary Club’s effort to end polio.
• the 11th annual Rotary of Cedar Creek Lake Golf Tournament is Friday, April 25 at the Pinnacle Golf Club. Sign-in is at 11 a.m., tee off is at noon. Prizes awarded for first and second place, lucky team, longest drive and closest to the pin. Event features auction and door prizes. Teams and sponsors are needed.
• Mabank Education Foundation is holding a fundraiser for $5 a ticket. Follow your favorite March Madness team and win various prizes.
• District 5830 Governor will attend the March 28 meeting.