Mabank teachers win Foundation grants
Posted by : February 2, 2013| On :
MABANK–The Mabank ISD Education Foundation surprised three MISD campus students, teachers and administration staff by presenting them with several grants totaling $20,387.
Recipients of these grants include:
• Central Elementary teachers Bettie Busby, Mary Ann Gregg, Crissie Kovar, Tana Hoelscher, and Brennan Popham were awarded the iCan Learn with iPods and iPads grant in the amount of $5,500.
• Central Elementary teachers Julie Boothe and Heather Baldridge were awarded the Speeding into Reading grant in the amount of $2,269. This grant will be used to obtain materials needed to increase reading fluency among second grade students who are below grade level.
• Central Elementary teacher Leslie Ward was awarded the Fourth Grade Classroom Science Library and Interactive Center grant in the amount of $1,000. This will allow for the construction of a literacy and interactive center in the classroom containing non-fiction topic books, interactive lessons and additional tutorial and enrichment opportunities.
• Central and Southside Elementary teacher David Glosup was awarded the Technology, Broadcasting and Production Experience for Students grant in the amount of $1,618, to expose students to broadcasting and media careers at an early age.
• All seven MISD campuses were awarded the Library Without Walls grant in the amount of $5,000. Linda Carter and Karen Jones accepted the donation. This grant will provide the simultaneous and unlimited use of eBooks.
• Mabank High School teacher Kyra Tracy was awarded the Sculptural Ceramics Program grant in the amount of $5,000 to expand the art program to include an AP 3D Design Class and a sculptural ceramics class.
These grants are made possible by donations from the community and fundraisers held by the Foundation Board of Directors.
The next fundraiser is the “March Madness.”
Tickets may be purchased from a board member or an MISD campus.
For more information on the foundation or to make a one-time donation go to www.mabankisdeducationf-oundation.com.